Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.bak Files 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrspetos

Industrial
May 19, 2004
US
Is it possible to have a seperate location for the .bak files to be stored instead of right next to the .dwg file?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mrspetos

I don't think so and I know it is'nt the best. I've nearly gotten rid of a drawing a couple of times instead of the .bak file.

It would be good to know if anyone else has an answer.

Haggis

mrspetos

If you don't want the .bak files, try <Tools> <Options> <open and Save tab> uncheck the box for "Create backup for each save".

You still have your auto save in case of disasters. I agree with you, the .bak files are an annoyance.

Haggis

we are currently working on creating a new file system here. and there is a debate whether to keep using .bak's or to can them. personally i think the clutter a nice file system, but they have been used in the past then someone deletes a file on accident. our system gets backed up everynight, so i dont see them being a nessecity. i just thought it would be nice if you could store them in a remote location, but it doesnt seem like that is an option. i would tink that capability would be there so you could save the .bak's on a totalally different harddisk. if a disk crashes, it does you no good to have a backupfile right next to your actual document. only incases where the file itself is corrupt. sorry for the rambling.....

mrspetos,

To save the .bak files elsewhere after any save operation (save, quick save, and save as) you need to use the MOVEBAK Express Tool. You must key-in MOVEBAK or go to the Express menu>select tool>then move bak files>then give it the location (path) for the .bak file.

imhuge999 (AKA Jingles)

imhuge999,

staying busy?

thanks for the idea, it would be something to make a button or maybe write a lisp to do that automatically. i open and save too many files a day for it to be worth the hassle

I am busy enough. Very monotonous which makes it boring. I'd rather be designing engines. How about you?

The MOVEBAK command is not compatible with autolisp in a command but there is a way around it. From Autodesk's site:

The following example runs the MOVEBAK command from the AutoCAD Express Tools and sets the directory.

(defun S::STARTUP ( )

(setq scrfile (open "c:\\temp\\mb.scr" "w"))

(setvar "filedia" 0)

(setvar "cmddia" 0)

(write-line "movebak" scrfile)

(write-line "c:/temp" scrfile)

(write-line "filedia 1" scrfile)

(write-line "cmddia 1" scrfile)

(close scrfile)

(command "script" "c:\\temp\\mb.scr")

(princ)

)

Movebak is a pain to bother with. I think it is easier to sort files by type then select all the .bak files and delete them at the end of the day or even periodically throughout the day. Our system is backed up nightly and the files are on my local station as well as the server. I do not think the .bak files are worth keeping in my case and it sounds like we have similar situations.

Perhaps another alternative to deleting them is to move them to a .bak folder periodically so if you need them they are there but they are not "in the way".

imhuge999

Help- I need my Bak files, If you need more space get a bigger drive. After I complete my project I delete my back up files for that project, boy that's hard.

I sense some unnecessary sarcasm. It is not hard to delete files but it IS a royal PITA to delete them when you are handling several (maybe even 100’s of) drawings a day. It is one more redundant and ridiculous task to do before you can continue with the rest of your work. Then consider a project is never ‘done’ because there is always room for improvement. After you improve the drawing (or several drawings) and re-save you get more .bak files that you have to delete. Hard…no, Difficult…no, PITA…absolutely.

It has been like this since at least R14 IIRC and I have no idea why AutoDesk has not changed it to give you the ability to relocate .bak files. They have made other excellent updates but perhaps this is inferior to other ideas on the list.

To lessen the apin factor, you can use a DOS command: Del C:\*.bak /s which will delete all bak files on your hard drive. You can make a batch file containing this command and an icon on your desktop. One double-click and presto - they are all gone!!

I am not saying they are bad I am agreeing with mrspetos when he says they are a nusiance. I know when I have a hundred drawings in a folder it would be much nicer to see only the drawings and not the .bak files too. I am fine with the fact that .bak files exsist but I wish they were in a temp folder that AutoCAD generates when it installs.

Maybe our method is more pita, but we clean our whole network drive by SEARCHing for *.bak, then selecting the resulting list, and deleting scores or hundreds with one Delete. There are a few steps to it, but you 100% delete ONLY bak files, and you also get the whole drive at once.

Rocky

A DOS command is an interesting solution. Let us expand for a moment.

Are there other ways to clear the hard drive of .bak files if you cannot access a DOS prompt or use the search feature? I have worked for places in the past where I could only access AutoCAD and Ideas. I couldn't so much as check the date using the task bar clock without getting the loud 'ping' and a 'this feature has been disabled' window let alone a DOS prompt. Perhaps other people are in the same situation and would like an alternative to deleting .bak files individually.

In an AutoCAD file/open dialog, you can set the view to "details", click on the file type header then shift select all the bak files and shift delete them ( or just delete ).

Windows 98
Using start
then find
and then files or folders
enter *.bak
and it will list all of the
backup files on your computer
and you can delete them from
that screen menu. Or if you
want you can transfer them to
another folder.

why don't you try removing the option of "creating backup copy with each save". Go to tools, Options, Open and Save then uncheck that option. I hope it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back