Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Balancing speed of telescopic cylinders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudely7

Mechanical
Feb 1, 2010
US
I'm looking for a cost effective, simple method to balance actuation speed of a pair of telescopic cylinders off a single speed gear. Could someone point me towards the type of circuit I would need? Slowing the 2nd stage to match the first stage might be an issue of adding and adjusting a pressure bleed off type valve?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Synchronization of multiple cylinders, telescopic or not, is normally done mechanically or electronically.

Mechanical solutions tend to involve heavy roller chains or large levers, and sturdy shafts.

Electronic solutions typically involve individual position/length transducers, control electronics, and servovalves or proportional valves.

There is no practical way to do it solely with hydraulic components.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Use a flow splitter to divide the Hydraulic flow from the main pressure pump and feed the cylinders from the splitter.

Try CIG.flow splitters from IMO PUMP North Carolina.

Crescent Internal Gear = C.I.G

Do you want the stages of both cylinders to be the same speed? Cylinder 1 same speed as cylinder 2?

Or, do you want the stages to be the same speed in each cylinder? Stage 1 same speed as stage 2?

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back