Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ball and socket Joint - Gap coming into contact 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptiEng

Mechanical
Oct 30, 2009
GB
Hello all, I would really appreciate some advice.

Please find attached an image of a model I am working on. I have attached an cross section image of the file called IMAGE_1 at
This is a 3D ball and socket joint analysis, with an initial clearance between the ball and socket. I have 3 parts in the model:

Part 1: Rigid socket holder (with reference point)
Part 2: Socket (deformable)
Part 3: Ball (deformable) - Fully constrained at pin the bottom of the ball.

1) STEP 1: I am trying to initially make the ball and socket contact one another by applying a displacement to the reference point of part 1.

2) STEP 2: I am then trying to apply a pressure to the top of PART 1 surface. To assess the stress at the contact point between the ball and the socket parts.

My analysis is not completing and keeps aborting, I am wondering if this is because I am using Abaqus standard and my analysis involves impact? I could try adjusting model to be in contact before the analysis, but I am trying to develop the model to assess the impact so would like to keep the initial gap if possible.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you trying to model the dynamic impact of the ball on the socket? If so Explicit is in your future. If you only need the contact force due to the pressure load then Standard should work. My guess is unconstrained rigid body motions. You can try turning on stabilization. I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Hi OptiEng,

I have a similar task. I must calculated wear (in x milion cycles) in UHMWPE Socket (acetabulum cup), so I create the hip joint model, but only two parts: socket and head. I run job and calculated wear for 2 mln cycle, but I have a problem, because I must modify the geometry of the wear values at each node. I have not any idea, how to do. I try edit mesh, but it is not good solution. Next I try orphan mesh and delete elements, but the problem is with contact, and the result is different than result from part - no orphan mesh.

How do you calculated wear and update geometry, if you will calculated.

P.S. Sorry for my english.

Best regards,
zabavip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back