Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ball and socket snap fit 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyRain

Mechanical
Jul 3, 2013
FR
I would like to know if anybody has an idea how to calculate all the parameters needed to properly design a ball and socket snap fit.
I have searched on the internet but I did not find any clear equation that explains the relation among the ball diameter, the socket diameter, the opening width and the material properties (I will use the ERTALYTE).

Thank you in advance for any proposition.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think you're going to find anything online to give you the exact answer. Every situation is different based on different materials, different surface finishes, different sizes, how tight you want it to be, and the features of the socket (whether it is split or solid, how much rotation you need, and how easily/tightly you want it to move)

You are probably going to have to figure it out for yourself through trial and error with some prototypes.
If you are machining the parts, start with it overly tight, and then you can remove material a little bit at a time until you get the fit you want.
If you are molding the parts, start with it overly loose, and then you can remove material from the tool (making the part larger) until you get it where you need to be.

I can tell you that it doesn't take much interference to get a real solid fit, usually only a couple thousandths depending on the overall scale of what you are working on.
Also, make sure you understand the tolerances of how the parts are going to be made. Again, a couple thousandths could make a big difference.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back