Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ball Valve Dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rydia

Materials
Sep 27, 2006
CA
I have a questions in regards to ball valves.
I have some client valve specifications which specify "Long Pattern" as per ASME B16.10 as opposed to "Short Pattern". I am mainly dealing with 150# and 300# flanged ball valves.

As I have gone through manufacturer models, I have noticed that some ball valve types are not manufactured in both patterns. Does anyone know when long pattern and short pattern are typically used by ball valve manufacturers?

For example, I have noticed that Velan, Milwaukee and Kitz have Short Patterned Unibody Regular Port Valves. Full port valves are generally long pattern. Are there other trends from anyone else's experience?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Tables are presented in ASME B16.10. These tables show for each pressure class per diameter the differences between short and long pattern.
All manufactures who supplies according to API 6D have to comply with subject tables.

Success.

Regards,
FKE

Hello Rydia,

Long pattern ball valves are supplied according to the ASME B16.10 specification to ensure standardisation and exchangeability.
Many ball valve suppliers can produce their valve with a smaller dimension. This will save material. Users can choose to save this weight and pay less money. The back side is that you cannot easily change supplier after the initial purchase.

Regards,
Terje

Many standards were published after manufacturers already had products in the market. Manufacturers participate in standard development. The long and short patterns may accommodate the dimensions that already existed during the development of the standards.

Rydia,

When ball valves first came into the market, they competed against gate valves. So the end to end dimensions are those of old gate valves, and not what is really ideal for ball valves. What the manufacturers do is select the shortest possible length from the available sizes in which they can fit the ball, seats, flanges, assembly of the flange and any body bolting. This will be what they sell in high volume. Lengths that are longer are not need to build or install the valve, so they are less common, harder to find, and are more expensive.

Because of this history, there is no standard length based on valve size, port size, pressure class, etc. It is going to vary by manufacturer depending upon the size, port diameter, seat type, floating ball or trunion, etc. As mentioned above, items that require a longer body length to fit all the parts are where you will find long body lengths. Items like, full port, trunions, spring loaded seats, etc. All the expensive stuff that you should not use unless you really need to.

bcd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back