Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Banding from Spaur Gear wear

Status
Not open for further replies.

HughG

Mechanical
Sep 2, 2003
GB
Does anyone have experinece on the reasons for banding being created by tooth wear. Banding is horizontal lines during printing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hugh,
are you certain that one of your
setscrews is not loose? I have
had banding on a dot matrix printer.
I assume you are talking about
blank horizontal lines between
part of the text.

If this is refering to a gear driven printing press, the banding is due to transmission error(TE). The TE causes miss-register, seen as bands.

This could be due to profile error, either from wear or poor gear quality. Backlash could also be a problem, but if banding is constant, and you can't adjust out, look to TE.

Hi GearmanPE

Thanks for you thoughts

The gear is to AGMA10, so TCE and TE are exclellent

At start of life no banding issue

Aftre 500 print banding occurs

Cleaned teeth and removed debris, this helps

Cant change to a better plastic material due to timline

looking to see if anyone has any experience on slowing down the wear process now. ie teloning the gears? if I lubricated them the the waer with mix and cause a grinding paste and accelerate wear

HughG

Hugh,
I am not sure what printing process you are talking about, but gear quality can only be a tip of the iceberg. We (Mark Andy) spend tons of money and effort fighting gearmarking (commonly referred as banding). Most important for gearmarking is PD runout, lead and tooth profile. Then come 1000 other variables which have nothing to do with gears. If you can be more specific about printing process and type of marking (wide, narrow, periodic etc), I might have a few more clues for you.
And AGMA10 is not excellent, it is only acceptable for a high quality printing.

we manufacture gears for the printing industry and yes banding is a persistent problem on printing machines
a good quality gear with a good quality fitment gets rid of the banding problem
make sure that there is some back lash in running of the gears we have had prnting machine manufacturers come to us with zero backlash requirements and then come back to us with banding problems !!!!
a good gear with low low TTE helps a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back