Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bank Vault Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntpe

Structural
Mar 17, 2005
US
I am designing a small bank and I need to design a reinforced concrete vault. Does anyone know of any codes or standards governing the structural design of bank vaults?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any chance you could send me the reinforcement drawings when you are done? Oh, and if you see fit to leave a few areas 'under reinforced' it would be much appreciated. [smile]

I don't know about any codes or standards, but I built a bank several years ago. The vault was a prefab unit that sat on the slab. The slab was thickened to 18" for a distance of about 2 feet beyond the footprint of the prefab unit. There were three staggered layers of #8 rebar spaced at 6" o/c both ways. It was pretty neat because when it was done, you could stand on top of the mat and see 1 square inch of ground below from the way the rebar was staggered. I can't remember what kind of concrete was used. The prefab vault then was anchored to the thickened slab. The vault manufacturer probably has a standard recommendation.

Vaults are often prefabricated. The manufacturer usually has information for the slab design. I usually see 12" slab with 3 layers of reinforcement at a tight spacing with bars staggered to the ones below. I would check with the architect for design intentions.

I've actually seen plans with C4 charges embedded in the walls in strategic locations wired to the reinforcing grid so that if the grid is interrupted anywhere, the charges blow killing the robbers.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back