Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Barcode Scanning Into Access 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

HearMeEngineer

Industrial
Jul 20, 2007
US
Good Afternoon everyone.

Due to development being frozen on our main system. I've been tasked on implementing another tool that will Scan Barcodes and send this data into an access Database.
Users at multiple stations will be scanning error codes ( Barcode Format) and it should populate a single access database.

Has anyone had experience with any good tools in this regard?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe it is just today (I am in an odd mood) but I would think that these barcodes are being printed or generated from (at some time) data that is already in an electronic format. Why print a barcode then spend the manpower just to scan it back into an electronic database rather than grabbing the data directly? I am missing something or was this what you meant by development being frozen on your main system?

Regards,

We have error codes we'd like to generate into Bar Codes.
Our Manufacturing users will then scan these Bar Codes whenever an error occurs.

We want to collect this information into a database to find out where our main deficiencies are...

Thanks,
HME

What I ended up doing was create the DB.

Then using a Data Access Page that will be placed on every users Desktop.

They will open it up and scan in the bar code whenever there is an error.

Thanks

Bar code sans are an OK way to collect 'down time' issues but you will have to monitor them and the reasons closely or the real reasons maybe missed.

An alternative is touch screen panels, I ahve used these alot. A bit more expensive but can provide better info. The screens can be configured to display the likely cause based on where the problem occured in the machine.

Hope this is of some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back