Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Barske Impeller 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robjack

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2004
US
I'm looking for design information on Barske (I've seen it written "Baske") type impellers. These are open, straight vaned impellers that are suited to low (less than 1,000)specific speed applications.

I've found a couple of companies on the web that will design it for me, but I need to learn how myself.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would like to learn more, never heard of a Barske or whatever it is.

Specialized industries such as automotive often use this kind of equipment, efficiencies are low but power and efficiency are low on the list of priorities.

PUMPDESIGNER

Barske was a German Engineer who defied the conventional way designing an impeller ( like francis etc ) The impeller is an open type impeller having low specific speed thus making it useful in area of Low flow and High Head. One particular pump manufacturer using this impeller is Sundyne Corporation. go to

Like Robjack stated, they are low flow, high head impeller, usually with a matched volute (if you trim the impeller, you need to have a machined volute.

From my experience, the efficiencies are much (if at all) of an improvement over higher specific speed centrifugals that hit the same performance... but it does help with non-overaloading requirements of the driver (shorter curve). Some specs call for a pump to be sized within a percentage of BEP and this type of pump could help.

Sundyne makes straight vane impellers, but they are very small, very high speed designs (15,000 rpm for ex.). Highly machined parts. At the other extreme, I've seen straight vane impellers on March mag drives. I don't expect either to be what your after.

Stepanoff and Karassik don't cover it. You'd likely have to get experience with a manufacturer to learn some of the key aspects. But the basic princicles still appply to all centrifugals...just don't expect high efficiencies.

Robjack,

As stated above the Barske (also written as Barski)impeller is one of the two keys to low flow / high head pump design. The other important ingredient is a concentric casing (rather than eccentric with a cutwater). This allows liquid to stay in the casing for more than one revolution around the casing, without the associated recirculation difficulties of cutwater / volute designs. It results in the ability to bleed off some of the high velocity liquid (converting to pressure in the rapidly expanding discharge volute).

Because of the relatively low efficiencies of this design, one should look closely at the effect of temperature rise of the fluid.

Hope this adds something to the thread.

Richard

I'm looking for information on how to design a Francis vane impeller. It sounds like you guys might be knowledgable in this area. Can someone point me to a good reference that gives the specifics of the Francis vane geometry? A search for "Francis vane" brought up your thread. I hope you don't mind me "scavaging" off it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back