Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

base metal thickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

R3M0

Mechanical
Apr 9, 2020
CA
The weld procedure says "Base metal thickness range " 5/8" to 1.5" ". Using this procedure can I weld the 18" std flange on to the 18" pipe as per attached sketch?

The flange thickness is 56mm. I know that this is more than the base metal thickness mentioned on the WPS but it somehow comes to my mind that base metal thickness is of importance only on full pen groove welds. I may be wrong. Please help.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d2b055a6-c225-4d3d-b41f-befbb91146af&file=Capture.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While it is clear that fillet weld is exempt. The partial penetration groove weld may be a different story. Wjereas I don't have access to ASME IX, I cannot provide a definitive answer.

Partial Pen groove welds: basemetal needs to be within the limits of the WPS (QW-202.2)....56mm is outside the limits.

Seeing the min. limit is 5/8" leads one to believe that impacts are involved, or at least were on qualification. If impacts are applicable, that would mean the min. basemetal qualified must be followed for fillet welds as well (QW-403.6)

Hi,
56mm thickness of base metal dose not qualified by your PQR even if it welded partially. Thickness of material affect on cooling rate of weld, heat sink, preheat,etc. So it is consider as essential variable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back