Base plate with Leveling bolts and NO grout

Status
Not open for further replies.

sshields

Structural
Jun 17, 2008
US
Hello everybody,

I'm working on a job were I used a baseplate with leveling bolts and grout for a column in biaxial bending. My question is that the client now wants to go without using the grout. Is it possible to model this situation in RAM, or does anyone know of a good resouce for sizing base plates in this situation.

Lamp posts and steet lights come to mind as we see those 'floating' base plates all over the place, so I know it can be done. I'm just curious if anyone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Scott

Scott

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It should be easier to model this condition than with grout. Load in bolts is resolved couple from the column to baseplate connection.

Lion06 makes a good point, this type of base is generally limited to those applications with low axial loads such as signs and light poles.

As Ron has pointed out this is a simple first principle analysis of point load supports not too unlike a rigid pile cap.

The application is for a floor mounted bridge crane, the loads are light, less than 2 kips axial, however, I do have biaxail moments of approx 4 foot kips. If this were to be modeled as a plate, would I put pins at the edges of the plate, and put the bolt tension and compression loads in their proper loaction and just check the stresses?

Scott

The only supports will be the bolts, not sure what you mean by pinned supports on the edges. As far as the bolts are concerned, tension and compression in the bolts are pretty much the same except in the opposite direction.

You also need to allow for bolt shear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back