Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Baseline Inspections

Status
Not open for further replies.

davelamps

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2009
GB
I have been tasked to set up a scope for a baseline inspection of a HRSG. The units are still in construction and i would like to capture a baseline set of inspections to minitor going forward. Can anyone recommend the type and amount of inspections required

Regards Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

davelamps

1) How many years of service HRSG would be completing before you commence inspection?

2) For any Boiler, you must concentrate on conditions of tubes. I suggest, in addition to tube wall thickness, you should consider RFET (Remote Field Electromagnetic Testing) to establish a base line data for future refrence.

3) Also replica of tube surface sample must be picked up for metallographical exmaination of microsturture of tubes. (Include sample from tubes of each sections ie.e Evaporator, superheater etc.)

4)A thorough visual examination of all zones in HRSG will make a good base for future.

5) Take relevant pictures.

6) Include chimney / stack in your inspection plan.

7) Random thickness measurement on tubes, steam and water drums will form a good base for future.

8) Refractory inspection is a vital component.

9) Finally a hydro test @ 1.3 times of Design pressure will be an ulitmate to cehck the integrity.

10) For more info, please refer API 510, inspection of pressure vessels.

The Hrsg is still in construction, it is a vertially tubed triple pressure Hrsg with the Deairator built directly on top of the LP drum, replication will be carried out. i will look at high velocity elbows

the question was more asking a percentage of elbows to be checked ect..

review of CMTRs by material lots
review WPS & PQRs
one random sample of each material lot for spool pieces
specify NDE of welds and get the reports
review any NCRs & confirm disposition
require weekly inspection visits with in-process photos
be ready to react to unforeseen schedule changes

Fiberoptically examine and video the ID surfaces of selected tubes and headers. Record actual dimensions at hanger/support locations. Photograph duct burner installation. If you are not doing so now, record hardness of P91 welds and adjacent pipe/fittings.

As important as baseline inspections are for future monitoring make sure you have adequate thermocouples installed and consider purchase or evaluation of a PI (Plant Information) software system for this HRSG. The installation and continuous recording of operating data for various circuits will be most valuable in service and will help to diagnose problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back