Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Basic Angle with no given tolerance

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanZI29

Aerospace
Aug 19, 2013
US
Hi all,
New here looking for a little guidance. I have a print for a small heat shield part and it is a poorly done print really. every Dim. is basic and there is no tolerance of any kind given in the info box. Now being a Roamer user, I have to give a tolerance to comply with reporting requirements. So with all that said. I have 6 separate Angle call outs for holes on the part that are all basic angle Dim. all the angles give a positional location in degrees along an arc which also has a radius call out. the only tolerance control given is an all over profile call out of .100 UOS. There is one other call out but not really sure what they mean by it. "located within .050 either side of basic" which is associated with the hole diameters. well the general consensus is that it should be treated as a TP call out. OK fine. Still need to get a Tolerance in DEGREES to report the angles. So does any one know how to do that? using either the profile or the other so called TP call out? and how do I convert that to a degree tolerance?
Thank you for any help you all can provide.
BanZI29

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Perhaps you might consider red flagging this post and re-post in forum1103 ?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

So, you've got a fancy measuring machine, and a SKETCH to measure against.

That's a management problem, not a GD&T problem.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

BanZI29 the forum IRstuff suggests would probably be a better location for this question.

While it's hard to imagine it's the most appropriate way to tolerance the features, the all over surface profile isn't necessarily inherently wrong.

The basic dimensions give the theoretically perfect location of the surfaces.

The profile tolerance explains how far from that theoretically perfect location the surface can deviate.

The other call out appears to be clarifying that it's an equal bilateral application of the surface profile tolerance.

So, there is not an explicit tolerance on the angles - the same would be true if it was using more conventional position control for the holes.

If you repost I suggest explicitly stating what standard (and what version of standard) you are working to, e.g. ASME Y14.5M-1994

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I've seen cases where basic dimensions were used because the actual tolerances were on drawings either the next step up or down in the assembly process and those drawings had the tolerances. You might want to check the drawings for the parts that mate with this one and see how they are dimensioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back