Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Basic dimension

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubthumper59

Mechanical
Jul 6, 2004
US
Is there an importance on how many places after the decimal in a basic dimension has. I have not found anything that states how many places, but all the references I have seen show 3 places.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No std on how many places. 3 places is most common. How many places you need for your tolerance. If you do maybe 5 or more places, most machines shops will question it because is not common.

Tubhumper,

There is no significance to the number of decimals after a basic dimension as per ASME Y14.5M-1994. The feature you are dimensioning is controlled by the geometric tolerances you have applied.

The standard states that you do not show the trailing zeros on metric dimensions. I would assume that this is done to make metric drawings look different from English units. I wish my CAD software sould support this properly.

If the dimension is not basic, ASME Y14.5M-1994 allows a tolerance note to define tolerances as per the number of decimals.

Are your dimension units in the imperial english or metric? To me it seems that you are using english units but I just want to double check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back