Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Basic V5 question regarding local and global axes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtwo

Automotive
Oct 17, 2002
US
I have a single part that was designed with an axis origin located on the catpart. That single part is common in many unqiue assemblies so it will be in different positions in the assemblies.

My question is when I go to project the 2d geometry of the catpart in order to dimension it the 2d axis from the part is projected with it, how can I project the single part using the catproduct's axis?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your question is not laid out clear enough.

"project the 2d geometry" Where to, onto a CatPart or into a CatProduct? What onto? A Sketch, a surface???

"project the single part", project what? A CatPart, an edge or what?

You really need to spell it out accurately if anyone is going to understand what your problem is.

"project the 2d geometry of the catpart in order to dimension it"

2d geometry (from the catpart or catproduct)is projected to create views in a catdrawing

How about creating an empty CatPart within your CatProduct.

Leave the dummy CatPart except for an axis system.

Position the empty CatPart's axis system coincident with the CatProduct axis system,

then when creating your CatDrawing views, select the empty CatPart axis system as the reference plane.

Here is another way,
This is mostly used for creating carlines\gridlines.

From the very same product in which you are using the part, create your view.

1. Firstly you need a part which is inserted on 0,0,0. Similar to above by MRSSPOCK. I often add a part and call it my skeleton (SKL), or whatever you wish. This part should be saved with your design for future reference. if ever the part is removed your views will reset and you'll lose your xyz reference\position in the views. I would actually give it a locked constraint to make absolutely sure it does not move either. Moving the SKL does not move you 0,0,0 position, but it gives you a good reference to work too knowing it is always on 0,0,0.

2. Now go to your drawing, create front view, switch to your product, in the tree select the part/s and the skeleton. IOW they will be highlighted, usually orange. Now select your plane either from your part or the axis plane as per MRSSPOCK's reply.

3. Now use the same SKL for all the other parts within that product.

Hope this helps.

sorry, been away for some time.
when creating your view, you select both the parts holding down "CTRL". then it creates a view of the two parts together at the original x,y,z (coords). so as per normal creation of drawing view, you just selecting the parts from the product (assembly) which you want to use for your view\s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back