Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

batch component reference update

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmgCAD

Aerospace
Jul 9, 2008
US
My company's current file naming convention is:
master model: mm123-123456.rev-0.prt
drawing: 123-123456.rev-.prt
The dash after the rev is our major revision for the drawing and model. The 0 after the master model major rev is to allow incremental revisions to the model that do not affect the drawing.

Our company is moving toward a PLM system (not Teamcenter) that requires us to remove the ".revXX" information from the end of the filenames before our NX data is imported into the system.
Obviously, this means that the component reference in the drawing file that points to its master model will need to be updated.
I know I can do this manually via cloning or save as, but there are thousands of drawings, models and assemblies that are to be imported into the PLM system.
I can use OS functions to physically rename the model files, and then use ugpc/ug_edit_part_names to update the assembly references, but again, this is manual and will be time and resource prohibitive.
Has anyone developed or heard of a method or scripting to automate this type of renaming/re-referencing activity?

Thanks!
PM

NX6.0.4.3 native

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Our models and drawings are stored in a single program folder. Our standard parts are in a separate folder.
Our destination folders will be handled by the PLM system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back