Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bathymetry mapping equipment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloughshark

Bioengineer
Oct 23, 2003
CA
Does anyone know what type of equipment is required to produce bathymetry maps? I need an instrument able to simultaneously record UTM coordinates and a sounding depth and upload them into a PC to be used with ArcView program.

I’m looking for something that gives me the same info that a hand held GPS unit and depth finder (standard fishing equipment) will give. I need the 3 data points taken at the same time and automatically dumped into a PC.

Any suggestions??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am no engineer, but I do have experience with working Bathymetry. We use the Tremble GPS backpacks to ping our location, while simultanously using a common depth finder to log the delth at that point. Both the GPS Data and the depthfinder data are logged into the handheld unit that comes with the tremble backpack. If you get the tremble equipment, make sure to get a depth finder that they carry an adaptor for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back