Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Battery capacity test, performance test, modified performance test, service test

Status
Not open for further replies.

leoliu

Electrical
Apr 21, 2005
US
Could anybody help me understand the difference of these four different terminogies for a UPS battery? It sounds to me capacity test equals to performance test, modified performance test equal to service test. For switchgear battery for relay system, which test duration should be used? For power generation emergency or DCS batteries, what test duration should be used? Thanks a bunch!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For a lead-acid battery, the simplest test involves looking at the date code.
Replace the battery on its third birthday.

Every day after that involves a risk.
If you can't risk going black, there's your answer.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Mike-

I assume that you're talking about VRLA "maintenance-free" ( I call them 'maintenance-proof') batteries and if so, I concur, although my company's practice stretches that out to five years.

For flooded-cell lead acid batteries, a load test is called for upon initial installation and every five years afterward. That time is revised downward if the test results are less than satisfactory. At 80% of nameplate, you should then consider replacement. If the string is less than ten years old (a nebulous figure) and you have one or two cells bad and the rest testing good, replace the bad cells (or jars) and continue service. Past that point, you'll likely find that deterioration is starting to appear on many cells and replacement of the entire bank is in order. Flooded cells can be measured and inspected visually through several commonly understood means.

I am in the middle of this exercise. One of my business units uses flooded cell banks for UPS. I am replacing strings that are over twenty-five years old. The other business unit favors the maintenance-free batteries and I just replaced one station's array that was seven years old with several bad cells. Mine are in three-cell and six-cell batteries and the cases are opaque.

On VRLA battereis, visual inspection seldom tells much and a failing cell can be masked by the readings of good cells in the unit. In batteries used in float service, a failed cell might not show up until the batteries are required to perform. The old IEE standard called for annual load tests of VRLA batteries. This is expensive for small banks.

old field guy

Capacity test: Discharging a battery according to the battery manufacturer's data sheet at a specific current for a specific duration.
Acceptance test: As above but for a brand new installation
Modified performance test: A test, in the “as found” condition, of battery capacity and the ability of the battery to satisfy the duty cycle. Example, if system has a load shed schedule then the discharge current for the battery should follow this schedule.
Service test: A test in the as “found condition” of the battery’s capability to satisfy the battery duty cycle. This is often considered as switching off the mains supply to a UPS and letting the battery discharge into the load (through the inverter) for the specified time that the UPS was designed to hold up on battery operation.

UPS Service Manager

Thanks a lot for the information. I kind of get better idea.
For the switchgear battery in the substation, and emergency battery or control battery in power plants, generally performance tests are conducted to measure the capacity. The testing duration for power plant battery generally is 8 hours and the discharge rate is selected based on the manufacture table per 8 hours. right? but for substation battery, i found some literature say typically 3 hours but other say typically 15 minutes or 30 minutes. Could you please share your experience on the typical duration for switchgear batteries?

For data center UPS battery, I heard in generally service test or duty test is used. The discharge current is generally the load current as raithrovers1 said. the duration is about 15 or 30 minutes. Is my undrestanding correct?

Thanks a lot.

>>>...i found some literature say typically 3 hours but other say typically...<<<

You are being lazy.
If you must refer to 'literature', please provide a link to it.

>>>Could you please...<<<
Remember you are asking busy professionals to help you, for free.

>>>Is my undrestanding correct?<<<
Go read it again until you understand it. We cannot detect the contents of your brain.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Dear Mike:
If you don't like to reply, that is fine. That is your own business.I am not soliciting your free service at all. I certainly don't respect your "professional" by the way you reply.
As a matter of fact, I am having beeing reading the related document based on what I can get. True, I am not a expert in this area but try hard to understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back