Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Battery powered remote tank level indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

barilko

Mechanical
Aug 7, 2001
US
Does anyone know of a battery powered remote level indicator that could be mounted on a tank?
Currently the operators climb the tank and measure level with a dipstick. This is a small remote tank farm with no power source. The instrument could be mounted at the tank outlet nozzle and should measure head and read out in volume (via calibration).
The instrument would need to be rated for hazardous location.
Any help would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What about a mechanical system? Perry's handbook has an illustration of tape float gauges. (section 22) Float in the tank, calibrated gauge board on the outsideside. Float is attached by a wire, chain, tape, over a sheave to an indicator on the outside. As the float rises, the indicator falls, and vice versa. Very simple system, remember though that they read backwards. When the tank is full the indicator is at the bottom.

I have seen the floats jonralph has refered to work (effectively) on an open sewage tank at a wastewater plant. There are also other types of mechanical level gauges that can be used on closed tanks. Overall, a mechanical level gauge seems like a good choice that will require less cost... plus, you don't have to change the batterys!

Good Luck!

jproj

Yes, I had considered mechanical floats. In fact we use them on other tanks in the farm (Methanol).

I was hoping to avoid any modifications to the tank and the fluid, DMDS (Di-Methyl Di-Sulfide) and Merox (waste stream containing DMDS) are not user friendly and I did not want to put another "vent" point in the tank as these fluids have significant aromatics.

ProjectDoctor, what did you have in mind with solar panels?

Thanks

I have seen solar panels in use in remote locations to provide a small power source, examples being; emergency phones along the highways, ocassionally you will see a solar panel on a reporting device that uses a radio signal to report.

I have never had a need for one however, if it provides enough power for your level indicator it's probably the way to go.

The Project Doctor

yes this can be done ! There are ultrasonic flow gauges designed to do this remotely. A station would need to be setup approximately a mile away to collect and send the data. once this was done though the data would be able to be obtain from anywhere in the world with minimum maintance. the system tend to be cheap and you should be able to find a number of them to choose from.

good luck,
rhye

DP cells are normally used for such applications where you can calibrate the difference in ambient pressure and head inside the tanks and calibrate as per preessure difference or DP. They are quite acurate and give real time data.You need to give 24 volt battery power.
agarwal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back