Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Battery Room - Humidificaiton Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

TECMSC

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2005
US
I've searched for a design guidline for humiditiy requirement in battery rooms but have not had any luck. There is quite a lot of info regarding ventilation but not humidification.

What is a typical guidline or reference for humidity in battery rooms?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only reason for humidity control in a Battery Room is if there is a possibility of flammable or explosive gases being given off by the batteries, and you want to minimize the chance of static electricity providing an ignition source. In that case, keep the humidity above 40% RH and you'd be fine. Otherwise there is no other reason to provide humidity control in a battery room that I'm aware of.

I have designed battery rooms for hydropower plants and never even thought of the humidity. With VRLA batteries the humidity will not affect the water use in the battery (except maybe over a period of years). GMcD's explanation is as good as I can think of. The ventilation should be more than enough to prevent any ignition.

TECMSC what is the reason for the humidity control?

Thank you both very much for the response.

GMcD...these are flooded batteries. we have proper ventilation rates and have not had any problems with static discharge and no humidification for the last five years i.e no explosions.

gepman...To control the battery environment to a minimum of 30% RH to minimize ESD. Temperature and ventilation seem to be the critical design parameters.

FYI, I was informed that the moisture(condnesation) on a battery would cause excessive charging current which isn't a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back