Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCD counter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Looking at the datasheet you have attached for the MC14518B-D there is nothing you need to do to make it count as a BCD decade counter, i.e. no external feedback or reset decode as would be required using a binary counter. You don't say what kind of LED display device you are using, or why this is multiplexed, so I suggest you look carefully at how that should be driven and also look at the multiplexer device. You may be missing the most significant bit, which would then only count 0-7.

Hi Brian

we are building test box to test multicore cable connections

so the clocked BCD outputs to multiplexer, output from mux to one end of each core of cable, other cable end feeds LED, ( 24v individual LEDs )

if cable is wired correctly, pin to pin, we will see a nice scrolling effect to LED 14, ( 14 core cable under test)

what we have at mo, is scrolling nicely upto LED 8, then resets to LED 1, and so on,

think it may be that we need to use the MC14520 B, from timing diagram , this one seems to count to decimal 15

thanks

It's been many years since I was into Boolean, but back in the day, A "Binary, Coded Decimal Counter" would only count 0 to 9. Although the counter was based on a 0-15 counter, it would reset at 9 for base 10 counting.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

I understand your requirement now for the cable tester (always helps to give the full picture up front!) I would not recommend running your LEDs from a 24V supply for two reasons:
1)If you are also running the ADG406 multiplexer chip from 24V, this is close to the absolute maximum supply rating - not good design.
2) If you are running the ADG406 from a lower voltage supply, e.g. 12V then the higher LED supply voltage can cause leakage currents in "off" channnels to flow into the protection diodes of the multiplexer chip. As with most chips, this can cause unpredictable operation, random channels being energised etc.

Best plan is run the LED supply and ADG406 from the same supply rails (but less than 24V).

Brian

did you actually monitor the signals with an oscilloscope?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back