Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCD Encoder

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmoynihan

Electrical
Jan 18, 2007
GB
Hi,

On a part of plant that I am looking at there is an old BCD encoder connected directly to the PLC. We are wanting a local display to show this output. My question is can the BCD parallel output be split between 2 destinations without loading issues? If not does anybody know of any products or circuits that could do this 'splitting'?

Thanks

Ben

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is all a question of how long, how fast and what power levels. A 24 V signal and PNP output from the BCD is usually not a problem even for a 100 metre distance. NPN may need extra pull-ups to +24 - and then it will probably work over same distance.

TTL is not supposed to travel outside a closed system, but can be made to do so if you use filters and pull-ups. Describe your output and your display in terms of voltages, impedances and distance you want to go. That will make it possible to answer your question.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Thanks for your reply,

I don't yet have the information on the system to which the encoder is currently connected. As for the voltages on the output of the encoder, according to their spec they are:-

Vcc = 10.8 to 16V DC

Binary 0 represented by :- 0 to 1.5V
Binary 1 represented by :- 1.5V to Vcc

So if we were to assume that the current system would load the signal too much, can you buy spitters etc to do this?

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back