Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Be-Cu alloy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polymat

Materials
Jul 26, 2004
US
Hello all

I am currently using Be-cu alloy for a connector. I am planning to change this material to an alternative.

Be-Cu - C17300 UNS

This connector is used in coaxial cable where a male pin is inserted between the crimped fingers in a female pin. The crimped fingers should last the insertion/widhrawal force cycle. The insertion/widhrawal force is approx. 0.80lbs

Thanks

Polymat

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What was the original connector material? What is the reason for the change in material?

The original material is Be-cu alloy. I am trying to find out the alternative to Be-Cu.

Polymat

And the reason for change is:
Cost reduction?
Reliability?
Conductivity?
Greater contact force?
Other?

Jesus is THE life,
Leonard

the main reason for the alternative is most of our OEM's wanted to get away with Beryllium.

Any inputs on alternative materials???

Some alternatives could be;

brass (ASTM B16) or
303 or 303Se stainless steel (ASTM A582)

These may require a surface plating as with most electrical connectors.

All

Thanks for your inputs. I will give some more specific details what I am looking for.

The current material Be-cu alloy (C17300 UNS):
We buy as rods and machine them to thickness approx (nominal) 0.5mm
Then we heat treat at 600F for 3 hours to achieve harness level of 38-45 Rc; T.S 175-225Ksi.

Any input on an alternative material?

Will the S.S 303/303se and Brass B16 suit?

Thanks in adavance for your suggestions

There are some other age hardneable coppers that have similar conducitivity to BeCu, but they aren't as good.
The CrCu alloys are common, and there are a bunch of others.
Most BeCu connectors are stamped or punched, not machined. That way people don't have to worry about the health effects of the Be.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be managed.

Ed

Thanks. Any specific grade in CrCu alloys?

Polymat;
The alternative material choices of brass or stainless were based on information from a source that I know who deals with coax/cable RF connectors.

Polymat:
I have info on an alternate material that performs very much like the C17300. It is marketed for your application.
I could refer you to the manufacturer

Steve Ross
rossmetal@sbcglobal.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back