Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

beam-beam contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

edumalta

Mechanical
Jul 6, 2011
BR
Good afternoon fellow colleagues,

I am running a few contact tests in ABAQUS. One of them is a beam-beam contact. Doing a little research, I saw that the explicit general contact was the only way to do that. When I tried that, the beams seem to pass through each other. Does anyone happen to have an example of beam-beam contact, like a tutorial. Perhaps my problem is with the contact normal / tangential behavior.

Obs.: Using solid elements is not an option.
Obs2.: I attached a picture of my test model.

Any help will be welcome

Thank you very much

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Okay, that didn't help much. I was able to solve this problem myself switching the step increment to "auto". I guess the previous increment was a little high.

Now, I am trying to make several beam-beam contacts inside a plastic structure. Still using general contact. But now the problem is the same, the beams are passing through the solid region, simply ignoring the contact. While monitoring the simulation, I got this message:

"Some nodes involved in general contact have penetrated their tracked faces by more than 50.000 percent of the typical element dimension in the general contact domain, 4.5496. Please check the node set "InfoNodeDeepPenetFirst" in Abaqus/Viewer for more information. Please make sure that these nodes and their contacting faces have sufficient mass to allow the code to calculate realistic contact penalties for enforcing the contact constraint."

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back