Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Beam Bracket Analysis Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

8bitEng

Civil/Environmental
Sep 22, 2023
US
I'm designing a U shaped bucket bracket that supports a glulam beam and is bolted to the bottom of an I beam so the glulam beam will be hung from the I-beam. My question is in regards to the forces in the bracket itself, primarily in the base plate that the glulam beam bears on. I'm modeling to bracket as 1" strip with a uniform load along the base plate,see attached image. If I cut the model at along the center to analyze the forces at the base plate, there is a moment in the base plate which would require a very thick plate to resist the moment. I'm assuming my assumptions on how the load would be distributed through the bracket is incorrect however I can't seem to see what's wrong. Similar per-manufactured brackets with similar loads are using 3 gauge steel, does the stiffness of the beam not distribute the load to the base of the bracket in such a way to induce the moment? Thank you. [URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/image/upload/v1718922672/tips/DOC062024-06202024153152_txrpee.pdf[/url]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The GLB is stiff. To get to a "uniform" load on the plate the beam would have to act like water.

So as the load comes into the GLB and presses on the plate there is some degree of arching that takes place such that the load is accentuated on the sides of the beam - perhaps like two small concentrated loads located just off the two hanging plates.

So the "base plate" probably only takes minimal moment and all the shear at each end of its span.
In addition, if the GLB bends along its own length, there will be some rotation such that the shear would get concentrated on the beam-side of the plate.

GLB_Sress_zefqpt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back