Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beam-Forming Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirok

Electrical
Jun 27, 2001
CA
Hi All,

Does anybody have any information about Beam-Forming Feed Networks used for phased array antenna? I will be very thankful if you help me.

Ragards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is only half a question as you do not address what frequency, power level or beam characteristic and these all have an influence on the type of beam forming used.

However as an example, Ferrite phase shifters are used on older radar systems. Active steered electronic arrays which have individual amplifiers at each antenna element are used on newer systems.

Hi,

Thanks for your replys.

I need an overall view of BFN. I am not looking for a specific design or application. My main purpose is the information about the advantages and disadvantages of each kind and when we are going to use each one.

Regards,

If you only want to form one beam, it's simple. Buy a power divider and hook up cables to the antenna array.

If you need more beams then the next choice is "Butler matrix" or "Blass Matrix" search these on the internet. They are cousins of each other. Most cell sites use a Butler Matrix.

Wider bandwith, use a 'microwave stripline lens' beamformer, often called a "Rotmen Lens", they can give you 2:1 or up to 5:1 bandwidth.

Narrower bandwith beamformers use a power divider with phase shifters.

check amazon.com too.

Good luck,
kch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back