Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beam web opening 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am doing a stability and proportioning check of an opening in a beam web. The opening width to opening depth ratio is greater than is recommended. If I was to place vertical plate stiffeners at some spacing o.c. in between the opening width, and welding it to the top and bottom flange of the beam, will this resolve the instability/proportioning check of the beam? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

vbridge,

It will help if you provide more information.
What is the beam shape?
What is the shape and dimensions of the opening?
Where is the opening centerline located, both in the depth of the beam and along the span?

dlew,
The beam is a W10x22.
There are (5) 4.5 inches dia. openings. at 6 inches o.c..
The first opening starts 1 ft. from one end.
The openings are centered to the depth of the beam.
The load on the beam is 0.63k/ft. total.

vbridge,

AISC's publication "Design Guide 2: Design of Steel and Composite Beams with Web Openings" shows what openings need reinforcement and how to reinforce the web. It seems the beam you described would need reinforcement because the diameter of the holes, their spacing, and their location close to the support exceed the maximum/minimum specified.

The publication is available at the AISC website

Dlew and CottageGuy,
Unfortunately, the existing beam has already beam cut. So,
I detailed another beam underneath the existing beam to support the existing cut-out beam. This will take care of the problem. Thanks for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back