Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bearing capacity of steel anchor on rock foundation (Dowel effect)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENGIRL

Structural
Feb 27, 2023
CA
Hi everyone,
Is anyone familiar with the dowel effect?
I am trying to estimate bearing capacity of concrete for this kind of situation. Do you have reference for equation I can use?
dowel_m0a0zj.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

- When you write ( Højlund-Rasmussen Dowel action pdf ) and search the web , one of the outcomes

- I will suggest you also to look (bulletin 43 FIB- CEB , Structural connections for precast concrete
buildings ) I remember there are some worked examples there.

He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock..

Luke 6:48

This is similar to the design of sacrificial shear keys used in seismic design for highway bridges. Caltrans had some design guidance on calculating expected failure of bars crossing a concrete to concrete interface to capacity-protect other elements. I'll see if I can find it again.

The paper "Seismic behavior of reinforced concrete sacrificial exterior shear keys of highway bridges" would most likely have some helpful information, but don't have access to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back