Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bearing Fit Specifications for Shaft and Housing. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklineng

Industrial
Nov 9, 2002
CA
I'm constructing a small rotating tool stand and planning to use two sets of tapered roller bearings (Timken L44643 2 bearings. The average loading would be less than 500 lbs. The nominal shaft size is 1.0 inch diameter, and the housing is 1.98 inch diameter. The housing would be stationary and the shaft would rotate. The shaft would be turned by manually, so speed is not an issue. I've reviewed the websites on bearing fittings, but would anyone with a better working knowledge be able to suggest the tolerances I should use for the shaft and housing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Get a Timken catalog.

Failing that, look up the interchange and get someone else's catalog for the same bearing.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

If the shaft would be horizontal the loading is kind of opposite to a trailer wheel, so the clearance-on-the-axle, races-tight-in-the-hub would be reversed, but for way under 100$ you can buy all the parts to make an assembly and have them in a few days. Rotating by hand I think it would take a long time to suffer any real harm from bearing creeping on the shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back