Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bearing grease selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manini

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2003
IT
Hi!
Could someone suggest me how to select the correct grease for a specific bearing that works in specific conditions?
Could someone suggest me some references, web site or other that could help me?
Thank you
By
Manini

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Almost any bearing vendor.
Almost any grease vendor.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Use the type and grade of grease recommended by the bearing supplier, or equipment manufacturer using a particular bearing. Hot shot or whiz bang greases may look great in shop demonstrations when the salesman hits it with a hammer and it does not splatter, or puts a torch to it, and it does not run, but bearings don't work like hammer blows, and seldom get as hot as a torch.

Greases have metal soaps that carry the lubircating oils and are designed for specific temperature ranges. High temp greases that are great for lubricating high temp metal forging equipment are poor bearing lubricants, because they don't "flow" in to, out of, and through the bearing rollers or balls.

Mixing greases causes the metal soaps to separate from the oils, and can cause bearing failure. Make sure that maintenance personnel are not greasing bearings with the grease gun that they are using for greasing the fork lift slides, or tractor trailer fifth wheels.

The answers given above will take you to the places you need to find your answer, but when you do, pay attention to the recommendations. They know what they are talking about.

rmw

The National Lubricating Grease Institue is a good place for this information. The main things to consider are speed and conditions. Base Oil Viscosity is figured as for any bearing. NLGI rating is much dependant on the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back