Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bearing Housing Roundness 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TugboatEng

Marine/Ocean
Nov 1, 2015
US
I'm looking for some thoughts on bearing housing roundness. I have a cylindrical roller bearing that a housing fit tolerance of 0.001-0.009" and my housing measures at 0.004-0.013.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would consider Chockfast Orange as a pourable shim but this race is narrow and may have too high a contact pressure. Figure 62kips not including dynamic factors.

Henkel / Loctite has a lot of literature for helping select and evaluate a product for addressing looser than spec fits on cylindrical components here and I downloaded their document "Retaining Compound Design Guide... Securing Cylindrical Assemblies" (attached). They mention that document at the bottom of that website, but it looks like they no longer provide a link for some reason (that's why I uplloaded it).

I haven't used any of these products yet but I like the fact that they give you so much information to work with so you can make sure you're getting the right product for the application. The application I looked closest at was shaft undersized for the (keyed and setscrewed) coupling hub (Thomas/Rexnord shim pack coupling between a horizontal fan and the 50hp motor). For that application Loctite 641 is the one I would have used to compensate for excess shaft/hub clearance (I can see that by my leftover highlight selections in the product selection flowchart). But we ended up being able to find a new blind coupling hub to bore to suit the undersized shaft instead. I think in the future when we have shaft seats for bearings undersized I'll look at that too since shaft buildup repairs tend to be difficult for us and our shops. For motor housings oversized it's usually not too difficult to repair by sleeving.

I imagine maritime applications have their own unique requirements though.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=79ae4b90-1132-4ce9-bc34-070efb3574f8&file=HenkelLoctiteRetainingCompoundsCylindricalAssemblies.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back