Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bearing Lubrication Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbrokow1

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2003
US
I have a 12l14 ground stock shaft (soft) engaged in an aluminum reamed housing(2") depth 3/8" nominal diameter. It is a reamed hole finish with no coatings.
The aluminum is 6063-T6. the shaft/ hole combination has .0005-.001 clearance and will rotate intermittently in a randomly used test apparatus.
So constant use is not present here. 1-10 times a day with 90 degrees of rotation. So bascally it is low use & low rpm. What would be a suitable grease to prevent galling etc. The product has a life test of 10k cycles it must pass. Also, it is a manually operated spring load horizontal lid.
Thanks for any guidance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd drill a single radial hole in the housing top and give it a daily drop of oil.

If your heart is set on using grease, I'd go with a light silicone grease.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I don't like the clearances you have. Lubrication works by there being a film of lubricant between the moving parts. You have half the clearance stated on any part of this shaft as clearance to the aluminum hole. How much film are you going to have in there? Think about it.

rmw

I guess you'd probably want to fully define your application for hope of a good answer.
Load (I missed it if you told us).
Temperature (assume room temp?)
environment (water, other contaminants).

I doubt I'd be able to give you any recommendation, but I think these would be important to whoever does.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

^ this is what I'd try. At low rpm there is no film so you want something a bit tenacious and having solids that add an element of dry lubrication like MoS2 can't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back