Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bearing preload spacer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mukesh Kunar

Automotive
Jul 11, 2019
IN
I want to design collapsible spacer for providing preload on taper roller bearing. The distance between bearing to bearing is 38.5 +/- 0.150 mm. Please guide, how to design spacer length and yield point as well.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the bearing ID bore?
Are the inner or outer races rotating?

Due to a most unfortunate lack of up-front information I am assuming you are using a pair of opposing taper roller bearing[highlight #FCE94F]S[/highlight].
In this arrangement -

Is this a new design/application?
If an existing design, or thoroughly done new design, is there an assembled rotating torque you are shooting for ? ( which is often the measurable objective of preload ).
Do you know the preload force you want to apply?

Are the loads and rpm (3000 rpm continuous and potentially over 5000 rpm) at all similar to the pinion bearings in some automotive axle that uses a crush sleeve for preload?
To "design" a crush sleeve I'd try to adapt a 5-10$ commercially available part to my purposes. And maybe ponder that OEM design after the project is running successfully

Automotive crush sleeves come in different configurations.
Some are quite short, with deep convolutions that would seem to crush easily.

Others are quite long with subtle cone shapes that by my WAG inspection would appear to be more diffieult to crush.

Hi Mongrel, Thanks for responding, yes you are correct. I am talking about crushable spacer which placed like sandwich in between both pinion roller bearing.

Hi Tmoose,
Yes, it is new design and need you support to under the crush sleeve force vs deflection principle.
Well, the wall thickness of spcaer is 2.5 mm, Bearing to bearing differential housing distance 38.5 +/- 0.150 mm,
Tightening torque 80 - 380 NM and at preload condition, bearing rotation torque will be 2.5 to 4.5 NM which is suggested by bearing supplier in back to back arrangement.
Static load capacity of bearing 65000 N.
That what I have from design.
So I want to understand crush/collapsible spacer load vs deflection recorvey chart.

Is there room for a bellview spring and maybe some spacers to provide the required preload? Their force/deflection curves are well known.

Timelord,
Could you help me to understand this curve and how I can generate this performance curve?
I don't know anything about this technology.

No special technology. Bellview springs are very high force small displacement springs. They are basically coned washers which flatten under load.
Google "bellview spring" and you will see what they are.
Your question leads me to believe you are not an engineer, as you have never heard of a bellview spring nor understand a force/deflection curve.
The force/deflection curve is a property of the spring and is usually supplied by the spring supplier. If you do not understand what a force/deflection
curve is, you better not be designing anything that lives will depend on. Hire an engineer in that case.
That said, bellview springs can be tricky when applying because unlike other types of springs, friction enters the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back