Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bearing reistance of joints

Status
Not open for further replies.

darragh91

Civil/Environmental
May 10, 2013
GB
Hi guys,

Regarding the design of connections I have a couple of questions on the bearing resistance of a joint subjected to tension.

1) bearing resistance is a the crushing failure of bolt or plate?

2) Please see attached picture/image. If you cannot see image I will describe. You have a joint subjected to double shear. Plate thicknesses are a and b. Plates a are on outside and plate b sits inbetween. If thickness b > a then is b the thickness to use in bearing resistance calculation? If so why is this?? I am designing to Eurocodes 9 - joints.

Thanks so much

Darragh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well you have to check both plate a and b. Lets say you have a force T pulling on plate b. plate b must be designed for T, and plates a will share the load, each taking T/2. There are many checks to do in regard to a connection like this, such as block shear, tension rupture, etc. Your question is very basic, so i suggest either getting a mentor at your office or hiring a structural engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back