Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bearing Support/Restraint

Status
Not open for further replies.

corus

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2002
GB
For a 3D structure supported by bearings, which is the best way to restrain the structure at the bearing?
A point support at the centre-line bearing position gives infinite stresses which affects the results close by. This is ok for stresses away from the restraint but at positions close to the bearing I want to know the cummulative effect of the nominal stresses and the bearing stresses. Additional translational restraints at the bearing would give a rotational restraint, which wouldn't be right.
Can the stiffness of the bearing be incorporated somehow?

corus

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A 90 degree fixed arc support would effectively give some rotational restraint again so I'd avoid that. Distributed coupling I'm not sure of. If it gave a result that gave reaction forces as a sino-soidal distribution around and along the bearing surface of the shaft then that would be ideal. Does this involve spring elements around the shaft of a certain stiffness or contact? If its contact then do you model the bearing as a solid and if so does how do you relate the bearing stiffness, in kN/m, to the bearing model Young's modulus? If coupling is by spring elements then are these applied radially with a stiffness that varies sino-soidally? If it's coupling by rigid links then I think that's the same as applying fixed restraints.

corus

Distributed coupling is new in 6.4. You have the option of how you want the distribution to occur, linear, quadratic, or cubic.

This looks like it allows for a load transfer into a surface. The points all move together in an average sense, but are allowed to move.

Look in the interaction module under constraints for the coupled constraint. In there, you will see a choice for distributed coupling - the alternative, and default, is kinematic which looks to be the same as rigid MPC's.

kf9ri and corus--
"distributed coupling" is not new in 6.4; it's been around for a few releases.

Brad
PS- Corus--Santa came early for me; 6.4 is installed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back