Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

bearing wall removal - dropped steel beam above a non-aligned wood header

Status
Not open for further replies.

lubos1984

Structural
Jul 5, 2019
CA
Working for a client in removing a bearing wall and substituting with a dropped I beam. during investigation found that the current opening in the bearing wall which consists of 4-2x8 is for whatever reason not aligned with the rest of the bearing wall. Steel beam runs directly below the bearing wall. question is if I run a dropped steel beam, at the current opening the 4-2x8 will not bear at the centre of the beam and most likely exclusively in one side of the flange. wondering what kind of issues this could create and remedial options.
IMG_6809_i4cefd.jpg
IMG_6811_n5c5mj.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Without knowing the magnitude of the offset, I'm not sure how bad the problem is but... I'd say that some rotation of the existing 2x8's is possible and my first guess at how to resolve that would be to install some tension anchors thru the 4 ply beam to resist that rotation.
Maybe a Simpson DTT1 on each side, fastened to the joists and with the 3/8" rod thru the beam.
Looks like the joists might be slightly offset so ... some blocking would be needed.

So the beam you're putting in is directly below and parallel to the existing beam just offset laterally?

Is it possible the wall isn't load bearing and that the beam is clear span the entire wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back