Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bearing wear inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbednarz

Mechanical
Jun 11, 2003
US
We have some angular contact bearings without seals used in an environment where there is a lot of airborne metalic dust. Basically ground slag from a burn cut.

The bearings are in a compartment that shields it from heavy particles but the airborne dust still gets in the compartment. The bearing are under a heavy load but the rpm is rather low at about 180 - 200. They are used at about 75% of their load rating.

I would like to have someone inspect the bearing races to determine the life expectancy of the bearing. Any recommendations or thoughts?

FYI: Several bearing manufacturers have told us that this particular bearing does not have a sealed equivalent. We are looking into having custom seals made though.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you can disassemble the mechanism, angular contact bearings are really easy to inspect since the bearing literally falls apart and the balls stay in their retainer cage, so you end up with three easy-to-inspect parts.

I'd use a simple garter-spring oil seal to protect it if you can fit it in.

Don
Kansas City

I called Halwal. They seem to have a solution. I sent them the bearings.

The application does not lend itself to running oil or grease through it. I will keep this in mind though.

What size bearings? A few years ago, INA developed a lin of sealed angular contact bearings. For unusual sized AC bearings, you may be able to use Nilos rings available from SKF. You may look into V Rings. They are a solid rubber flinger seal, available from many sources, CR, National, Dichtomatic.

Russell Giuliano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back