Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_McA

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2018
GB
So, I'm looking at creating a press JIG to insert small bushes. I'm going to simply make an adapter to fit onto the end of one of my off-the-shelf toggle presses. My adapter is in essence an 8mm diameter shaft (for simplified purposes)that I would really like to constrained in the vertical axis using bearings.
I'm just curious about what bearings would be the most effective in this case.

Would really appreciate anyone's input!

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You don't need much of a bearing. There should be no side-loads on the shaft. I'd just match-ream the jig to the adapter diameter with a small clearance and add a tiny drop of lubricating oil to prevent galling.

Great minds think alike! Unfortunately I have already tried this, I noticed deflection occurring, albeit not much but I would like to eliminate this.

"I noticed deflection occurring,"

The problem is insufficiently described.

a. The 8 mm shaft bowing?
b. The 8 mm shaft moving radially in the holes in the adapter?
c. The mechanism of the COTS toggle clamp is wracking/racking ?
d. Something else altogether ?

My guess is c, but the OP's follow up statement a device with X number of guide bushings was insufficient SUGGESTS that something else is afoot.

If the 8 mm rod was well guided with bearings 100 mm or so apart, in a fixture solidly attached to the work bench or the workpiece, to the extent the COTS toggle I envision is providing only the pressing power, I would expect to be able to drive rivets or whatever just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back