Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Custom Bearing - Calculate # of Ball Bearings 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrittToolEngineer

Aerospace
Aug 4, 2016
US
Greetings:

We are designing an inspection fixture where a round part will sit on a plate and rotate about its center. The size is fairly large, so we are looking at designing custom thrust type bearings. General information: Ball bearing diameter is .250". We are cutting (2) grooves where these balls will ride, one radius is 34.500 and one is 36.500. I know how to determine the circumference and then divide by .250, and this gives me a perfect fit number of ball bearings; however, is there a rule of thumb to reduce that number so that the ball bearings have sufficient space to perform their job?

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Brent

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BrittToolEngineer:
For all the screwin around... A difficult design problem, difficult machining problems, heat treating problems, one of a kind special, very thin, thrust bearings, significant costs, etc.; you have told us very little about what the test piece weights, its size, how it’s tested, how it is fixed to the turn table, etc.; how the turn table is driven, speed/rpm, cycles per day, etc. Would something a little cleaner and simpler work as well as the ball bearing thrust bearing arrangement? A fairly heavy turn table plate, with a centering bearing over a vert. axis on a heavy base plate, for centering the turning table. The underside of the turn table plate has a 34.5" i.d. and 36.5" o.d., flat bottomed, washer shaped, shallow groove machined up into it. This groove takes a Teflon/fiberglass (Fiberglide?) flat thrust washer or a metal backed flat plastic bearing thrust washer (GGBearings.com). The base plate gets a similar shallow groove for a chrome plated steel, flat washer shaped, thrust washer. I don’t know exactly what vertical, thickness and flatness tolerance this system can achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back