Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

beaver tool steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

petedie

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2007
CA
Hello,

I'm looking for an alternative to 'beaver' tool steel made by Atlas Specialty Metals, who went bankrupt about 10 yrs ago.

So far, I have been able to find out its composition:
C 0.68
Mn 1.20
Si 1.00
Cr 8.25
V 1.00
Mo 1.40
Ni 1.50

I appreciate any and all help.
Pete

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a comparison chart of different tool steel manufacturers and it doesn't have a "Beaver" listed for Atlas Steel.

8 Chrome tool steels aren't that common so if you could comeback with the end use it would help find a comparable steel.

Hello,

attached is a PDF I was able to find showing beaver plus other tools steels Atlas used to produce. The PDF also has a thermal treatment and tempering curves which may be of some help...

The end use is steel bending/punching application.. We produce cloth cutting dies and these tools bend the steel to required shape.

Thanks
Pete

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3a4a0f02-21ae-413a-a983-03f534a74727&file=atlas_specialty_steels.pdf
Thanks to the information provided by petedie about "Atlas Beaver" I would recommend that SLD-Magic die steel from Hitachi be substituted for the "Atlas Beaver". This is definately an upgrade. If this isn't satisfactory you may want to use the Hitachii SLD-8 material instead.

Somewhere in the windmills of my mind I believe that Hitachi and Atlas once had a working agreement to produce tool steels. I also think Republic got in the mix somehow and turned into Keystone Profiles.

BTW, sadly Crucible Steel ,which might have alternatives , is up for auction next month ! I hope something might be saved .Carpenter seems to be interested in some of the assets.

I am fairly sure that the compaction division of Crucible that makes the CPM grades will continue in operation. I doubt that the NY facility will. They made very little of their own conventional tool steels anyway.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back