Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beginer cant dig a hole for himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cameronke

Mechanical
Oct 3, 2002
GB
Hello everyone
I have made it my new year resolution to finally and fully make the transition from Autocad to SW. Not easy as I am used to being able to make as many screwups as I like without the system objecting.
However I am trying to make a hole with a counterbore with four fixing holes on the face of the counterbore. I sketched a simple circle and tried to cut/extrude it. i mmediately get an "end feature not found" or similar message and cannot get round this and so fall down at first base. My intention was to create the through hole, then the counterbore then create some sort of polar array (darn that Autocad lingo just creaps in) of the fixing holes on the counterbored face.
Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong or how I might do it better.
Best regards to all

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check the direction of the cut. Instead of going into the part it might be oriented to go out of the part.

Since you are just starting and it sounds like you are not headed to a training class I suggest you start with the Online Tutorial. Just start SWX and then go to Help and look for Online Tutorial. This is really good for self learning and it was just overhauled for SWX 2003.

Even experienced users can learn something new in this online tutorial. I rarely get through a third of the "What's New" manual with each new major release so I remain unaware of some new feature that would make my life better. I have taken to checking the new version of the online tutorial and flying through the stuff I recognize. The whole setup of the tutorial is more visual and less text based (compared to the What's New) and I can readily spot something I don't normally see. Give it a try. I think this is an underutilized feature of the ease-of-learning benefit of SWX.

- - -DennisD

Many Thanks DennisD
I believe that I did try both sides. I also checked the "through all" but wiil check your suggestion when I get back on it.
I was on a training course when I first purchased the software but due to work pressure I strayed back to my area of comfort (Autocad)I have been working through the tutorials that you suggest and find them very good especially the new ones tailored for converting Autocad users. Do I detect that there are fundamental mind set changes required in that I will have to un-learn Autocad in order to learn SW?

Best regards

You haven't yet specified which version of SW you are using.

For your base hole and counterbore, try using the Hole Wizard, counterbore function. Get comfortable using this (Hole Wizard), as it can be an important option later as you get more familiar with SW. "The attempt and not the deed confounds us."

Thankfully it has been a while since I was restricted to the world of 2D, non-parametric object line creation. I bought SWX 96 but had access to SWX 95 as a long demo and was wow-ed then. As far as mindset changes in converting, I'm probably too far removed from this conversion to be a good reference, but I'll say this: SWX is set up to create soilds, not just 2D lines. Instead of thinking about what a projected view would look like on paper you need to be thinking in 3D, about what the part will be. Think of holding the part in your hands and turning it over and around and then make the same thing on your screen.

I don't know that I'd call that a change of mindset as much as calling it a liberation of the mind.

Welcome to the liberated world!

- - -DennisD

If your using SW03 there is a tutorial in the help called "Moving from AutoCAD" That may help you switch.

I wonder if your problem isn't in the sketch. Check that for problems to. You can use "Check sketch for feature" tool to make suure the sketch is alright. Thats located under "Tools\Sketch Tools\Check sketch for feature.

IF that checks out and you still cannot get it to work either post here or send me your part to either your VAR or I can take a quick look at it.

This is assuming your using SW03.

Best Regards, Scott Baugh, CSWP [spin] [americanflag]
3DVision Technologies
credence69@REMOVEhotmail.com

*When in doubt always check the help*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back