Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

beginner, cant lock smart dimension

Status
Not open for further replies.

fandax17

Mechanical
Jul 4, 2014
CZ
Hi,
I am new at Solied Edge 2D, so I start with tutorial, but I have problem soon :-( I cant lock smart dimension...
To make my problem clear, I make video: Link (turn annotation on)

problem 2: I dont understand why i can move some lines and some lines I cant move. Also, I want to move line like in the tutorial video Link from 2,57m. but I dont know how to turn it on, my ST6 version is little different from the version in the video.

I look forward to advice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can not see the first movie. Can you please upload it on this forum?
For the second problem, I have a question. Did you already placed some dimensions or geometric constrains? Maybe you have locked your sketch with those constraints somehow and therefore you can not move all the lines anymore.
And what do you mean by 'turn it on' for your second problem? Are you just trying to display relationship handles? If you can not find this command, type 'relationship handles' in command finder. With this command, you will show all relationships, that you have applied to your sketch.
I also hope, that you have turned on the 'maintain relationship' command, when you have been drawing your sketch. With this command turned on, you automatically create geometric constraints (connect, horizontal/vertical, etc.) when you are drawing. So, when you move one line, the connected lines will move to. But if this command is turned on, there are no relationships between your lines and arc. When you move one line, only this line will be moved.
So, if you didn't turn on Maintain relationships command, you can quickly apply most of the relationships with command Relationship Assistant.

I hope that this explanation will help a little bit.

Thanks!

second try - my video is here:
hope it works
(upload file to engeneering.com dont work for me, dont know why)

Thanks for my second problem, your explanation helps, but if i get this corectly:
SvenBom said:
I also hope, that you have turned on the 'maintain relationship' command, when you have been drawing your sketch. With this command turned on, you automatically create geometric constraints (connect, horizontal/vertical, etc.) when you are drawing. So, when you move one line, the connected lines will move to. But if this command is turned on, there are no relationships between your lines and arc. When you move one line, only this line will be moved.

As I get it: turn maintain relationship on, draw a sketch. Then, when move one line, connected lines will move to. It works this way. But then, how to move the only one line (on the same sketch), as you say? Does not matter if maintain relationship is on or off, I still move one line and connected line, not the only one line.

OK, first you have to understand, that Solid Edge 2D is parametric software. This means, that you can connect the geometry with constraints (dimensions, geometric), thus changing your geometry quicker.
For example, if you need to change the diameter of the shaft from 20mm to 25mm, you just type the new value for this dimension. And all the other geometry will change accordignly. You can also connect one dimension with another via formulas (tools/variables).
So, according to this, you can not move just one line so that the others will not be affected. If you want to achive this, then you have to delete proper constraints first. But I am sure, that when you will use the parametric in its full power, you will not want to work without the constraints.

Now, back to your problems.
First problem is with lock/unlock the dimension. I really don't know, why you can't turn the dimension back on. Maybe you should turn off not to scale first and then lock the dimension. See my movie, that I have uploaded.

And your second problem.
Well, this really isn't a problem. The drawing is working as it has to. If you will turn on the 'Relationship Handles' command, then you will see, that you have probably some geometric constraints applied to your sketch. All the lines are connected with endpoints. And somelines are probably horizontal or vertical. Then, you also have all the neccessary dimensions. So, when you want to move the sketch, you can not do this in any direction, because the sketch is almost fully constrained. It seems, that the lower horizontal line is not exactly horizontal. It is placed at some angle. And since there is no dimension for this angle, the line can be rotated.
And then about placing additional dimension. You can not lock this dimension, because the sketch will be overconstrained. You have already dimensioned the height of the sketch on the left side. On the right side, you also have one dimension. So, this third dimension that you are placing is actually overcontraining the sketch. Solid Edge knows, that this third dimension can be calculated from 'left dimension-right dimension'. If you want to lock this third dimension, then you have to unlock one of the other two dimensions first.

And about Maintain Relationship command. You don't have to turn this command off. Nothing will happen to the sketch, you have alreay drawn. This command is just helping you in creating a parametric sketch. When you draw a horizontal line, it will apply the horizontal geometric constraint. So when you are changing this line or entire sketch, this line will always be horizontal. Or when you draw one line from the endpoint of another line, it will apply connect relationship. So when you move one line, the connected line will move, too.

I know that I have written quite a lot. But I hope that it is clear enough. If there is something to be explained more thoroughly, just ask.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=59cecd1b-e953-477f-b16d-d753f9216a3c&file=movie_2.wmv
For the first problem with the dimension: it suddenly starts working (like in your video). Maybe because I restart PC (bug?)

For the second problem: I think I get it. Thanks for you explanation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back