Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Beginner Mechanical Engineer Needing Good Reference Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdcnrl

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2008
US
I am a beginner mechanical engineer 2 years out of school that has recently become the ONLY mechanical engineer at a batch process chemical plant. I don't have experience people to ask, so I need good reference books on pumps, piping, rules of thumb, and general design guides. Since I don't have anyone to ask, I am looking to the large amount of experience that you guys have. I have lots of money to buy books, just no idea whichs ones are good or bad.

Thanks in advance,
bdcnrl

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm an ME in the petroleum industry and I use daily:

Cameron Hydraulic Data (Flowserve)
Engineering Unit Conversions (Lindeburg)
GPSA Engineering Databook (GPSA)
Piping Handbook
Rules of Thumb for Chemical Engineers
Republic Catalog
Ladish Valves Catalog

Also any internal standards or specifications that you can use will assist you. I'm relatively new to the industry (5+ years) and I found that talking to the people who operate the finished product are good ones to talk to. Or find anybody with grey hair and a hard hat, they'll know a lot. . .

"If experience was always the only factor, how would we get to the moon?"

Add to the list:

"Design of Weldments" Omer W. Blodgett, The James F. Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation, Cleveland Ohio. A real bargain

Crane Technical Paper 410 (now available on CD)

"Pressure Vessel Design Handbook" Henry H. Bednar, Van Nostrand Reinhold Co. NY, NY

A fairly recent AISC Steel Handbook

The internet has a vast array of onformation if you know where to look.
Chemistry
DOE-HDBK-1015/1-93 DOE fundamentals Handbook chemistry volume 1
DOE-HDBK-1015/2-93 DOE fundamentals Handbook chemistry volume 2
Classical physics
DOE-HDBK-1010-92 DOE fundamentals Handbook classical physics
Electrical science
DOE-HDBK-1011/1-92 DOE fundamentals Handbook electrical science volume 1
DOE-HDBK-1011/2-92 DOE fundamentals Handbook electrical science volume 2
DOE-HDBK-1011/3-92 DOE fundamentals Handbook electrical science volume 3
DOE-HDBK-1011/4-92 DOE fundamentals Handbook electrical science volume 4
Engineering symbology prints and drawings
DOE-HDBK-1016/1-93 DOE fundamentals Handbook Engineering symbology, prints, and drawings volume 1
DOE-HDBK-1016/2-93 DOE fundamentals Handbook Engineering symbology, prints, and drawings volume 2
Instrumentation and control
DOE-HDBK-1013/1-92 DOE fundamentals Handbook instrumentation and control volume 1
DOE-HDBK-1013/2-92 DOE fundamentals Handbook instrumentation and control volume 2
Lead acid batteries
DOE-HDBK-1084-95 DOE Handbook primer on lead-acid storage batteries
Material science
DOE-HDBK-1017/1-93 DOE fundamentals Handbook material science volume 1DOE-HDBK-1017/2-93 DOE fundamentals Handbook material science volume 2
Mathematics
DOE-HDBK-1014/1-92 DOE fundamentals Handbook mathematics volume 1
DOE-HDBK-1014/2-92 DOE fundamentals Handbook mathematics volume 2
Mechanical science
DOE-HDBK-1018/1-93 DOE fundamentals Handbook mechanical science volume 1
DOE-HDBK-1018/2-93 DOE fundamentals Handbook mechanical science volume 2
Nuclear physics and reactor theory
DOE-HDBK-1019/1-93 DOE fundamentals Handbook nuclear physics and reactor theory volume 1
DOE-HDBK-1019/2-93 DOE fundamentals Handbook nuclear physics and reactor theory volume 2
Thermodynamics heat transfer and fluid flow
DOE-HDBK-1012/1-92 DOE fundamentals Handbook thermodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid flow volume 1
DOE-HDBK-1012/2-92 DOE fundamentals Handbook thermodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid flow volume 2
DOE-HDBK-1012/3-92 DOE fundamentals Handbook thermodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid flow volume 3
These can be found here

Engineer on a Disk

The Lawrence D. Miles Value Engineering Reference Center Collection

Vita sine litteris mors est.

May I suggest you join the The Institution of mechanical Engineers. This learned society is based in London but is a worldwide organisation.

They have a virtual library that allows you to access to sites with over 1000 books for members. Including some very well known piping design books.

Membership will enable you to progress to Chartered Engineer status that is universally recognised. You may even find your pay increases.

The website contains all the membership application forms to suit the grade you wish to apply for.

Geoffrey D Stone FIMechE C.Eng
Chairman IMechE NSW Panel Australian Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back