Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

beginner tooling and clear-coat help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ummm

Materials
Mar 28, 2003
US
I'm brand new to carbon fiber. I'm trying to produce a 2-3mm thick plate using an epoxy resin and woven carbon fiber reinforcement. I intend to use a "wet-lay" process and would like a high-gloss clear finish. Can I just use the epoxy as the clear coat or do I need an actual "gelcoat?" Is glass a good non-stick surface to use or is there something better? Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depending on why you are making this part, it would be wise to use a supplier that does this day in and day out. I make parts like this for many different business areas and I use autoclaves and presses to get the finish required. See composiflex.com

If you want to do it your self, it can be like wood working if you want a smooth cloth finish. Use neat resins and keep sanding and applying. Use a polished steel sheet which you can get from a industrial metals supplier or use a polyethylene sheet if you want to go cheap. The polyethylene will not stick to the part, the steel sheet needs to have a release applied to it. See De-comp. See web sites like Northern Fiber Glass Sales NFGSales.com. You need to talk to one of their sales people.

Larry

Sounds like you are just doing some experimenting :) For some comprehensive and free information go to and download their 69 page applications pdf. The glossy surface you desire is only obtainable if the surface of your mold is glossy and perfect. As lflex says, polished steel or similar. I can't see a problem with using glass but put some release on it to make sure the part comes off. Heres a good amateur page with some low cost tips on bagging an so forth Don't forget that there are several styles of woven carbon cloth and some are easier than othes to achieve the attractive "carbon" look with. Good luck!

Ben Roberts. Ben Roberts

Broadcast Engineer

Sentient being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back