Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Belleville Washer Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

waleedjoyia56

Mechanical
Apr 16, 2024
PK
Hi Everybody, Can someone help me with this one? I want to use the Belleville Washers with bolted joint to limit the deflection between 0 & 0.22 mm for the given tensile force of 866.468 kN. I want to calculate the tightening torque for a given bolt diameter and number of washers required in series or in parallel to limit the deflection. How should I solve this problem?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Deflection of what? The strain in the bolt, the deflection of the washers? The combination of bolt strain and the washers? What's the reason for limiting the deflection?

At the least belleville washers have a significant non-linear response for load vs. deflection and that response is highly sensitive to the thickness of the washer.

Most bolted joints don't care about controlling bolt load as an independent variable; they are characterized by the amount of elastic strain and the bolt load is a consequence of that; the number of bolts is then determined to meet the joint load. It's why there isn't usually one really large bolt holding flanges together and instead are a large number of smaller bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back