Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Belleville Washer Experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCL

Agricultural
Nov 25, 2003
US
What types of applications have you successfully and not successfully used Belleville washers?
I have an application where multiple M20 grade 10.9 capscrews are used to hold a cover on a housing. The external loading into the cover sometimes is high enough to cause the cover to slip eventually causing the capscrews to loosen. Would a Belleville washer(s) provide any benefit?

Thanks for your comments!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here are the website of two people that make Disc Spring that I have worked with. It is best to send them a drawing and the with all the physical parameters of the bolted connection you have

Without more information it sounds as you either don’t have enough preload or you need a higher strength fastener. A disc spring will not substitute for the proper strength fastener tightened to the proper preload.
If you can come back with more details of the connection like loads, no of bolts, torque values, etc.

I agree with [blue]unclesyd[/blue]. A conical washer will not fix the problem of insufficient preload.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I think that a high tensile capscrew like Gr 10.9 should never be used with any kind of spring washer or lock washer as the loads are too high. Use correct preload (part-turn method rather than torque) and perhaps hardened steel flat washers under the heads.

Belleville "washers" are springs.

Think about your joint design with a coil spring where you are planing to use a Belleville washer. Does it seem ridiculous? If so then it is clearly not a good application for a Belleville either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back