Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bellhousing Bolt Patterns - Ford 429 vs. Ford 302

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllorNothing

Electrical
May 3, 2006
CA
Anyone have a legitimate bellhousing CAD drawing or techinical information on dowel pin locations and boltholes for these two engine/transmission bolt patterns.

I have hand measured both and reasonably accurately documented them, but an "official" measurement / pattern would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone built a BBF engine to SBF transmission adapter?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Close as we have come to this is CNC a block plate and flywheel cover assembly for direct drive sprint car use.
I think we have a full factory drawing for the 302/351w blocks. The reason for this was there are none made for this application and we needed to be self starting so the starter mounts to the motor plate on a Ford.
Stock wise, the C6 is as close as you will come to big block fitting a smaller trans.
Look at the JEG'S cat, page 225k.
There you will see a conversion bell housing 390-429 BBF to C4 and even this conversion can accept a Power Glide with some extra hardware.
Good luck.

I would be interested in obtaining the 302/351W block bolt pattern. Is it on CAD or a dimensioned drawing?

I have seen one aftermarket converter plate, it is very expensive and tilts the transmission relative to the engine. I think I can do better.

With the water and laser cutting machines utilizing cad drawings that are available for hire, I am hopeful to "DIY" this. Sounds ambitious, but I have done worse . . .

If all you're doing is making an adapter plate it's pretty easy. I've made mine before with a mill and set of transfer punches for less than 10 bucks worth of materials. It just takes a little time. Good luck

Michael

Reply to stout:

Sure, the transfer punch is great for boltholes, how did you ensure crank and torque converter alignment?? I have seen the odd shop gut a block and transmission to put a solid shaft in to line thing up, but I am not THAT ambitious

As you stated bolt hole location isn't all that critical, the alignment is being driven off the dowel pins. When you have your plate on the mill just pick a centerline and let that be the driver for everything else. I would bore the dowel pin holes first and then fit it on the block to check it, next just put the bolt hole pattern in. After that I would just repeat for the other pattern. good luck

Michael

Best suggestion I can give is find a shop with a CMM machine, bring them a clean bare block. Touch off rear main bearing housing and dowel pins. -------Phil

Are you running an auto or a manual? Is there a specific transmission you are after? Most of fords transmissions were origionally available for most of the engines.

I want to connect a aodE-w or a e40d. The e40d is larger and will likely take more HP with less modification. I have in my possession a 95 e40d from a 3/4 ton truck. (351W)small bolt pattern.

There is a e40d for the 460 but they seem to be quite rare. Hence $$$

The opposite is true of the aode-w or 4r7w. They were never available for the 429 / 460 block and would require a mandatory adaptor plate.

I want the low first gear and o/d. I intend to use the Baumannator electronic transmission control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back