Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bending 1/8" stainless steel cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

hroark2112

Mechanical
Jul 7, 2010
US
Good evening!

I am planning to make a cage from 1/8" stainless steel flat plate. The plate will be cut with a water jet. After it is cut, I will need to bend the cage to conform to the front of a helmet. The overall dimension of the cage will be roughly 6" wide by 12" long.

What is the best way to bend this material? I've looked at roller machines, but they all seem to cap out at about 20ga. for the smaller machines. Should I look at a hydraulic press and a form to bend the cage into?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd love to say I'll need 1,000,055. That's likely a pipe dream.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to fabricate them as they are needed. I have a local water jetting company that will do 5 at a time for a very cheap price (cutting).

I hope you're charging a lot.. Don't see how you could ever make your money back on having to invest in a press or roll forming machine for something you might make 5 parts on..
Is the forming in only 1 direction.. Really need to see a print to make any educated guess on cost effective solutions.

The word 'cage' suggests that you will be removing a lot of material from the sheet. That also removes stiffness.
Depending on the design, you may be able to bend the product by hand.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Find a local sheet metal shop, take it in and say "roll or form this for me".
This sounds a bit like some of the stuff I used to do for the creative anachronism guys.
B.E.

You can get a rough idea of how stiff the structure will be by analyzing just one of the resulting 'beams'. At say, 1/8" thick x 1/4" wide, they'll be hand-bendable, at least in a hockey player's hands.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

One of the really cool things about abrasive waterjet cutting is that you can use it to make parts that you can't punch. E.g., your cage cut from 1/4" thick or 3/8" thick stainless, with webs 1/4" or 1/8" wide. ... or even narrower than that, probably down to 1/16" or less, with essentially no distortion associated with the cutting and no serious limits on edge distance. Of course you make a lot of scrap with heavy plate...

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Any decent brake can form this material. You should talk to a local fabrication shop. Most shops will help you design for manufacture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back