Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bending Aluminium 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

test

Industrial
Sep 27, 2001
NL
Hello,

I'm looking for a formula that describes the bending behavior of Aluminum (in function of Al-type thickness, shape,…); I want to know at what bending angle aluminum starts to deform (so not springs back to his initial position).

Thanks
R. Litz

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

test...

Unless You are dealing with "annealed or low-alloyed" aluminum there WILL be a critical minimum bend-radius and a minimum "spring-back" factor in every case. Note: for virtually every alloy/temper combination [or "similar-to" combination] this data is published. I use company data so I can't send you numbers; however, many aircraft sheet metal fab manuals have this data.

Note: simple bend-tests should confirm min BR and spring-back for various samples.

NOTE: this data is usually valid for STRAIGHT-LINE bends using constrained tooling, such as a "break" with radiused edges. Caution: bends thru a curve CAN present different challenges!!!

NOTE: deburr edges carefully and examine outer BR surfaces and edges with 10X--50X magnification for signs of cracking [NDI if questionable]. Regards, Wil Taylor

I had the same question in the past and someone gave me a bending calculator software is pretty handy and it helps to reduce testing. email me and I'll send it to you

ok,
juan.morales@mailcity.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back