Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bending Capacity of Plate (Strong Axis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhombuss

Structural
Dec 13, 2004
US
Hi,

There's equations out there for bending capacity of plates in weak axis (either elastic or plastic modulus), however I've never come across a bending capacity for a plate in strong axis. Also, this would be for a laterally unsupported plate, so I'm positive there are lateral-torsional buckling effects associated with the loading orientation.

Is anyone aware of any guidance available in either the CISC or AISC, or other? This seems like it would be a very simple exercise, however I cannot seem to find any guidance with treating laterally unsupported plates in strong axis bending.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I remember seeing something in that AISC "red" book (Design of Steel Connections?). The approach was to check b/t of the plate, using 1/2 of the depth of the plate for "b", because only 1/2 of the plate is in compression. This is also how you check the web of a beam which is coped at both flanges.

DaveAtkins

Yes its explicitly covered in 13th Edition as jonnycash pointed out. Another reason to move forward from the 20+ yr old green book...

You can download the spec for free at AISC (I'm not sure if you have to be a member or not). You can't get the whole manual, but you can get the spec section that you're interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back